The Red Cross of the Republic of San Marino will host the 12th Mediterranean Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies from the 25th to the 28th of May 2015 under the motto ‘Our Principles, our Move’. The Conference will serve to define the humanitarian challenges to be tackled during the next 3 or 4 years, namely:
• Fundamental Principles, link to Humanitarian Diplomacy
• Crisis Response and Preparedness
• Youth and Volunteering
• Assistance and Protection to Migrants
• Social Inclusion and the Promotion of a Culture of Non-violence and Peace
The Mediterranean Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies convenes the National Societies of the Mediterranean and other National Societies who have historical or geographical links with the region, thus creating a link between countries of Europe, Middle East and North Africa.
The Conference is held every 3 or 4 years. It aims at strengthening cooperation and encouraging dialogue between National Societies from the region with distinct cultural and historical features, thus contributing to the fulfillment of the purposes of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
The first Mediterranean Conference was held in 1980 in Belgrade. Since then, a total of 11 Mediterranean Conferences have been celebrated. The last Conference took place in Cavtat (Croatia) in 2010, where the Dubrovnik Declaration was endorsed, underlining which humanitarian issues where to be tackled with greater emphasis in the years to come:
• the challenge of providing assistance and protection to migrants
• the problems related to climate change and environment
• the social effects of the world economic crisis
• the role of Youth in the present and in the future of the Mediterranean